Family and friends fostering

When parents have difficulties at home, their child/ren may need to be looked after by someone else. For example: a relative, friend or other person who is connected to the child/ren. These arrangements can be made directly between parents and their relatives or friends or a social worker may be involved. This is sometimes called a kinship care arrangement.

If the social worker is concerned that the child is suffering significant harm and does not believe it is safe for the child to remain in the parents’ home, they can go to court for a legal order or agree with parents for the child to become ‘looked after’ in the care of the local authority.

For all children in care, Staffordshire County Council is committed to placing children with a relative, friend or connected person to the child, before considering placing them with an unrelated foster carer, unless that is not in the child’s best interests. This can be a short term arrangement or may be on a permanent basis; it can also be done in an emergency.

If you are a family member, friend or other connected person and the child is placed with you when they are ‘looked after’ by Staffordshire County Council, you will be assessed as a Family and Friends foster carer. Family and friends carers are sometimes called ‘connected’ or kinship carers.

For further information please call the Family and Friends team: 01543 510410

Find out more about Kinship Foster Care and Special Guardianship.